Producer, Anant Singh announced today that a four x 1-hour mini-series of the film, MANDELA: LONG WALK TO FREEDOM created to commemorate the Centenary of Nelson Mandela’s birth will be broadcast on DStv’s Mandela 100 Tribute Pop-Up Channel between 18 and 22 July. Singh also announced the Mandela Documentary Collection produced by himself which include BEYOND LONG WALK TO FREEDOM, COUNTDOWN TO FREEDOM, PRISONERS OF HOPE, A HERO FOR ALL, VIVA MADIBA and the flagship film produced especially for the Mandela Centenary, CELEBRATING MANDELA ONE HUNDRED, will also be broadcast on the Tribute Pop-up Channel over the same period.
The MANDELA: LONG WALK TO FREEDOM mini-series stars multiple award-winning actor, Idris Elba; award-winning actresses Naomie Harris and Terry Pheto; Tony Kgoroge; Riaad Moosa; Lindiwe Matshikiza; Atandwa Kani; Jamie Bartlett and Deon Lotz, and is produced by Singh.
The mini-series tells the Madiba story in a more detailed manner – his childhood ; adapting to life in the big city of Johannesburg; becoming politicized, then incarcerated for almost three decades and ultimately becoming President of a democratic South Africa. The MANDELA: LONG WALK TO FREEDOM mini-series is an inspirational story of struggle, sacrifice, hope and triumph, and serves to broaden and deepen knowledge about Madiba and his lifelong commitment to freedom and democracy in South Africa, and complements the theme of the Mandela Centenary Commemoration, Be The Legacy.
Commenting on the creation of the mini-series, Singh said, “During the production, we shot an enormous amount of footage that was not used in the feature film due to time limitations, and decided to create the mini-series. We are very pleased that this enables us to tell the complete Madiba story as it includes scenes of his childhood in the Transkei; being sent to live with the Tembu Regent, Jongintaba; his move to Johannesburg and experiencing the vibrance of Sophiatown and its destruction and his internship with the Johannesburg law firm, Witkin, Sidelsky and Eidelman and many other watershed moments in his life. We are thrilled to share our vision of a four-part mini-series of Madiba’s journey with South African audiences as we celebrate his 100th birthday.”
Singh’s Mandela Documentary Collection covers the period beginning shortly before South Africa’s first democratic elections to his passing in December 2013:
- COUNTDOWN TO FREEDOM: This film documents the first free and fair election in South Africa and includes exclusive access to Nelson Mandela as he took the final steps on his walk from prisoner to president.
- PRISONERS OF HOPE: This documentary charts the reunion on Robben Island of 1 250 of its former political prisoners led by President Mandela.
- A HERO FOR ALL: The film tracks the activities of President Mandela from the run-up to South Africa’s first democratic elections and throughout his presidency.
- VIVA MADIBA: This is the story of a rich life, a record of comradeship, and a new glimpse into historical and personal facets of this great man’s rise from an anonymous child to a world icon, restoring our faith in the power of change, and celebrating the man who shaped the destiny of a nation.
- BEYOND LONG WALK TO FREEDOM: This fascinating five-part series examines the history and issues behind Nelson Mandela’s Long Walk To Freedom through the use of original interviews with Mr. Mandela and the people who knew him well.
- CELEBRATING MANDELA ONE HUNDRED, produced especially for the Mandela Centenary celebrations, traces Mandela’s life from his roots in the rural village of Mveso, to becoming one of the greatest statesmen the world has ever seen. The film takes us beyond the political and into the personal, and features exclusive interviews with family members, close friends, comrades, politicians and international celebrities, telling us the story of a man who became an international icon.
Singh added, “I am fortunate to have had unprecedented access to events with Madiba after his release from prison, and to record historic events for posterity through the production of these films which remind us of Madiba’s legacy and his selfless leadership. We are delighted to have partnered with DStv to broadcast them as part of the Mandela Centenary celebrations.”
“This is a very special five-day pop-up channel to honour and celebrate the extraordinary life and legacy of the global icon Nelson Mandela; a man whose life-long commitment to justice and freedom shaped the world. We pride ourselves in only acquiring the very best content and couldn’t have asked for a better line-up. Thank you to world-renowned Videovision Entertainment for their contribution,” says Yolisa Phahle, General Entertainment CEO, MultiChoice.
DStv’s Mandela 100 Tribute Pop-Up Channel can be found at Channel 199 on the DStv bouquet.