Following on today’s briefing by Minister Jeff Radebe on the Centenary Celebrations of Nelson Mandela and Albertina Sisulu and the Comprehensive National Programme for the Centenary, film producer Anant Singh outlined a package of films perpetuating the legacy of Madiba and Ma Albertina Sisulu that will be released as part of the Centenary celebrations.
Anant Singh said, “I am honoured to have enjoyed a personal relationship with Madiba, commencing while he was in prison when I asked to make a film about his life. I have recorded significant events which have enabled us to produce these films that will support the Centenary celebrations following its theme, ‘Renewing the Mandela legacy and promoting active citizenship in a changing world’. Our flagship project to celebrate Madiba’s centenary year, CELEBRATING MANDELA ONE HUNDRED gives us a glimpse into Madiba’s rich and inspirational life. Madiba left us a great legacy of selfless leadership and we are delighted to be sharing his rich legacy on film with the world as we celebrate his 100th birthday.”
CELEBRATING MANDELA ONE HUNDRED, a documentary feature produced with the Nelson Mandela Foundation. Enhanced with authentic re-enactments, CELEBRATING MANDELA ONE HUNDRED features family and friends Walter Sisulu, Oliver Tambo, Joe Slovo, Maya Angelou, Bill Clinton and many others.
CELEBRATING MANDELA ONE HUNDRED will have its World Premiere at the Nelson Mandela Foundation on Sunday, 8 July.
In addition, other films that will be released during Mandela Month include:
- MANDELA: LONG WALK TO FREEDOM Mini-series: A four-part mini-series especially created to commemorate the Centenary of Nelson Mandela’s birth, based on the film MANDELA: LONG WALK TO FREEDOM.
- BEYOND LONG WALK: This fascinating five part series examines the history and issues behind Nelson Mandela’s Long Walk To Freedom through the use of original interviews with Mr. Mandela and the people who knew him well.
- COUNTDOWN TO FREEDOM: This film documents the first free and fair election in South Africa and includes exclusive access to Nelson Mandela as he took the final steps on his walk from prisoner to president. It presents an intimate and independent chronicle of ten days of change in an event of global importance, taking the audience inside President Mandela’s campaign.
- PRISONERS OF HOPE: This documentary charts the reunion on Robben Island of 1 250 of its former political prisoners led by President Mandela. This historic event of former prisoners meeting in their place of incarceration features emotional footage of comrades and their fascinating anecdotes as they reminisce their experiences as prisoners on Robben Island.
- A HERO FOR ALL: The film tracks the activities of President Mandela from the run-up to South Africa’s first democratic elections and throughout his presidency. With unprecedented access to President Mandela, the film examines him as a charismatic figure, an icon and moral force and the excitement of a farewell tour of the United States and covers Mandela’s fanfare visit to New York and the ceremony in Washington where he became the 100th person to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honour, the highest honour of the United States of America.
- VIVA MADIBA: This is the story of a rich life, a record of comradeship, and a new glimpse into historical and personal facets of this great man’s rise from an anonymous child to a world icon, restoring our faith in the power of change, and celebrating the man who shaped the destiny of a nation. It is a celebration of an icon, a titan of our times and a giant among men.
Videovision Entertainment has entered into a partnership with DSTV to broadcast these films on their Mandela 100 Tribute Pop-Up Channel between 18 and 22 July 2018 on channel 199.