Anant Singh and Videovision Entertainment announced today that they will make available a selection of films produced by the company for free viewing online. These hit films will be available during the lockdown period from Friday, 27 March through to Thursday, 16 April 2020.
The first films offered on the platform are all South African favourites to entertain and inspire viewers:
- SARAFINA!, based on the stage musical, it is an inspirational film about the youth uprising of 16 June 1976, and stars Leleti Khumalo, John Kani, Robert Whitehead, Miriam Makeba, Somizi Mhlongo and Whoopi Goldberg.
- BONES, South Africa’s Number One Box Office Comedy Hit
- YESTERDAY, the first South African film nominated for an Oscar starring Leleti Khumalo and directed by Darrell James Roodt.
- 2010 – ONCE IN A LIFETIME, which focuses on the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa and the excitement and jubilation that this global event brought to South Africa and the African continent.
- RED DUST, an intense, courtroom drama on the backdrop of South Africa’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission, starring Oscar winners Hilary Swank and Chiwetel Ejiofor with Jamie Bartlett.
- CELEBRATING MANDELA ONE HUNDRED, traces Madiba’s life from his roots in the Transkei, to becoming one of the greatest leaders the world has seen.
- COUNTOWN TO FREEDOM, documents the ten days leading up to our democratic elections and culminates with Nelson Mandela’s inauguration as President, and includes exclusive access to Nelson Mandela as he took the final steps on his walk from prisoner to president.
- A HERO FOR ALL, follows the activities of President Mandela from the run-up to South Africa’s first democratic elections and throughout his presidency.
- PALJAS, based on the classic Afrikaans book and directed by Katinka Heyns, explores the life of a Karoo family whose lives are changed for the better when a travelling circus leaves behind a clown.
- AHMED KATHRADA: A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, follows struggle veteran Ahmed Kathrada’s extraordinary life journey as an activist, a Rivonia trialist, a Robben Island prisoner through to his post prison activities and the founding of the Ahmed Kathrada Foundation.
The films can be accessed on the Videovision Entertainment portal on Vimeo at: https://vimeo.com/showcase/6915595.
Singh and Videovision Entertainment have been actively involved in the Covid-19 campaign and crafted awareness videos in partnership with many stakeholders including the Nelson Mandela Foundation. These videos can be viewed at: https://vimeo.com/showcase/6915930.
“For the first time in the modern age, South Africa and the entire world faces a health threat of unprecedented proportions, with uncertainty and concern. While our President implemented measures to quell the rapid spread of the Covid-19 with the 21-day lockdown, we felt it important to offer some of our films to our nation for free viewing online. We have selected films that are firm favourites among South Africans,” said Anant Singh.
Singh further said, “I commend President Cyril Ramaphosa, his cabinet and the members of the National Command Council for the swift action taken and the implementation of programmes that will hopefully quell the impact of the Covid-19 virus on our people. It is encouraging that initiatives like the Solidarity Response Fund have garnered support and I am delighted to be a participant. I urge all South Africans to take the necessary precautions against the virus and continue to practise good hygiene. May all South Africans be safe during this lockdown period and beyond. God bless us all.”